This year, as you make your New Year’s resolutions, the Federal Emergency Management Agency urges you to have a disaster plan and integrate smartphones into it.
Here are some preparedness tips:
- Know the hazards and risks in your area.
- Create an emergency information document by going to www.ready.gov and downloading FEMA’s Family Emergency Plan.
- Know how to communicate with and find your loved ones when a disaster strikes.
- Discuss the types of disasters that are most likely to happen and pick a meeting place in case you can’t return home.
- Ask an out-of-state friend to be your family contact.
- Discuss what to do in an evacuation and make plans for your pets.
- Teach your children how and when to call 911.
- Build two emergency supply kits – one for the home and one for the car – that include water, food, blankets, and first aid supplies in the event you lose power or are stranded in your car, and don’t forget about lighting kits!
- Survivors can also make a smartphone part of the family disaster kit. Learn how to send updates via text and email from your mobile phone to your contacts in case voice communication is not available. (www.ready.gov/get-tech-ready)
For more information, visit Ready.gov and CitizenCorps.gov or download FEMA, American Red Cross, and NOAA weather apps. You can also follow FEMA’s readiness campaign on Twitter as was clearly done at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Emergency Transition Initiative (click on the link to learn more).
It is FEMA’s mission to support U.S. citizens and first responders and to make sure that we, as a nation, work together to build, sustain and improve our nation’s capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all sorts of hazards.
Follow FEMA online at:
The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any companies, non-government websites, or applications. If you have no idea where to start, check out this article.
Survival – Cooking
When the electricity fails, one of the first inconveniences noticed is that you can’t go over to your electric stove, toaster, toaster oven or microwave to prepare food to eat. This is key, and make also sure your kids are optimally prepared. If you have a gas range, you will be able to cook as long as the gas company can keep the gas flowing to your house.
One easy solution to this problem is the solar cooker. Solar cookers focus the sun’s rays onto a cooking chamber. The fuel is inexhaustible as long as the sun is shining. To read more about water filtration systems, read this post.
We carry two different solar cookers. We have an inexpensive portable unit that cooks up to 300 degrees F. Our other unit, the Global Sun Oven is used in over 126 countries around the world. This solar oven cooks at a higher temperature of 360 degrees F. Besides cooking your meal, the solar cooker can melt snow to use for drinking water.
Whichever one you choose, having a solar cooker in your emergency preparedness supplies is a great idea. Many people enjoy using it even when electricity is available. Another point that deserves your attention is your home security. This is often overlooked but if you click on the link and read the article, you’ll definitely get the message! Anyway, be safe in the New Year and ALL the BEST!